Saturday, March 22, 2008

Latin@ in Brazil

It has been quite an adventure to notice how people perceive my racial identity here in Brazil. I came prepared to experience the privilege of whiteness, ready to see what all the hype is about. I wondered how I would react or if I would be treated differently than Almuhtada. I pictured myself getting upset or making it known that I too was a person of color. Although I don’t feel like a white person and people don’t perceive me that way, I feel that at times I have been treated very differently in Brazil than I would in the U.S. When riding home in a taxi a few days ago, the driver, knowing that I was American felt comfortable enough with me to tell me about the neighborhood where he lives and how clean and nice and “white” it is. This would have never happened in the U.S. The driver clearly thought that I would identify whiteness with a better neighborhood, however, I really couldn’t believe that he told this to me, a Latina!

However, on several other occasions I have been mistaken for Brazilian. Now that I have spent one week here I am beginning to understand the privilege of the majority. I feel at ease, included, and beautiful; just like another Brazilian (of course until someone hears my broken Portuguese/Spanish/English). I like that I don’t get charged the inflated tourists prices and people feel comfortable talking to me, despite my inability to fully understand them. However, this too leaves me feeling uneasy, guilty that I am taking advantage of the situation. Is this how people feel when they check the box or choose to identify as a person of color? I propose no answers, just questions that I will continue to think about with the new experiences to come...

No comments: