Monday, March 24, 2008

Favela Tours?


As I was jogging down the beach in Rio de Janiero, I saw several safari jeeps filled with white passengers and Black drivers. Was this one of the popular favela tours? I cannot be sure, but it was my inclination that they were headed to the nearest favela to experience an “illuminating view of the real Rio.” There are several popular tours that tourists can participate in to experience the favelas. That morning I was on my way to spend the day with AfroReggae and learn more about the social justice project this non-governmental organization promotes. Although I too was going to tour the favelas with this organization, I was seriously conflicted about the fact that others were going on tours that essentially seemed like a safari or a trip to the zoo. Their experience in no way could convey the role of slavery and the lack of a Reconstruction to provide social inclusion policies in the development of the favelas. I also do not think that the participants could fully understand the sense of community present in this complex environment.

During my time with the NGO I was able to gain a better understanding of the complexities of the favelas. However, I think that this was possible because of the background that I brought to the project as CRS student. I began the day with the understanding that there are many ways in which the laws works racialize society. It was this understanding that helped me to realize how a community that has been systematically disenfranchised by the state can rely on drug lords to pay for their prescription and hospital bills and plan parties for the holidays.

Knowing that many tourists were coming though these communities simply viewing the extreme poverty and at the time that they visited, during the hours that most adults are working outside of the favela, desolation made me uncomfortable and frustrated. I was uncomfortable with the thought of the tourists driving through an extremely poor community of color in their air conditioned vans. I was also frustrated by the fact that they were unable to experience the community building that is going on in these communities and the history behind their development. Although, I have no doubt that the tourists will never forget the images that they saw on the tour, I worry that it will reinforce the stereotypes of people of color. I hope that sharing my experience will further the understanding of these communities and the need to continue the fight for social inclusion.

1 comment:

lifeinrocinha said...

there are some guides who do offer more then what you have wrote here..not all "favela tours" are alike.