Thursday, March 29, 2007


After today, I’m certain that matter what else happens on this trip, It will have been well worth it. Today I had a chance to (as Professor Crenshaw put it to literally sit at the feet of greatness. We attended a talk and reception with Abdias Nascimento, an artist, poet, filmmaker, and the father of the black movement in Brazil, a living legend, a veteran of the movimento negro who, at 93 years old, has never laid down the fight. Nascimento is one of those souls who is larger than life – the idea of meeting him in living color seemed all but unfathomable. I sat and listened to him speak (in Portuguese) about decades of struggle, about hope and about Black pride - even pride in being the descendants of slaves. “Imagine, he said, how much we would have accomplished if we had not been slaves!” He spoke truth the continued suffering of Black People, without a hint of despair. Most of all, he spoke with a heart full of love for Black people, and it was a love that actually had room for Blackwomen.

I have to admit it – I cried. I’m not sure why today was so very emotional for me. I don’t even understand much Portuguese, and I couldn’t hear the translator that sat with our group to help us understand. I think there is an understanding that goes beyond words. Just a few minutes before the talk began, I tried out my Portuguese with a man outside the building. I admitted to him that I did not really understand all of his words - but that I understood his heart.

No comments: